Monument record TYN 009 - `Old Warren House' (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 251 393 (160m by 143m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||STRATTON HALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
`Old Warren House' named on Kirby/Johnson map, surveyed in 1740/41 and drawn up in 1784, and shown as a cottage drawn upside down (`a cottage wasted') in area of cropmark complex (see SNH 005, TYN009 Bronze Age ). Probably rabbit warrener's lodge. A rabbit warren is supported by the field name `Warren Longfield' for the field immediately to the NW of TYN 009, on the enclosure map of 1807 (S1)(R1).
A possible Medieval or Post Medieval rabbit warren, which may be a modified Bronze Age round barrow (see TYN 009), is visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, centred on TM 25103928 to the south of Walk Farm, Stratton Hall parish (formerly Trimley St Martin Parish). The site consists of a rectilinear ditched enclosure, surrounded by a smaller sub circular enclosure which in turn surrounds a circular banked or walled enclosure with external ring ditch. This has been interpreted as a rabbit warren structure. (S2) The reuse of the round barrow as a rabbit warren may have contributed to the unusual way in which the cropmarks develop over this feature. The complex appears to abut the trackway to the south (SNH 005) which, whilst probably having Prehistoric origins, was probably still a significant boundary in the Medieval or Post Medieval period. The interpretation of the feature as a rabbit warren is supported by the sources described in (S1) and by a 1791 plan of the Stratton Hall estate that names the field as "Warren House" (S3). (S4) (S5)
- <R1> SSF10287 (No record type): Kirby, J. & Johnson, .. Kirby & Johnson, map, surveyed 1740/41, drawn 1784, SRO (Ipswich).
- <S1> SSF18007 (No record type): SAU (JN), A14 Seven Hills to Trimley Improvement: Archaeological Assessment, November 1995, ill.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Vol 38, part 4 (1996), pp 469-470.
- <S3> SXS50128 Map: Isaac Johnson. 1791. 1791 plan of Stratton Hall estate by Isaac Johnson. IRO Isaac Johnson Collection HD11/475.
- <S4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BXI6) 15-JUN-1976.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2538/4 (1658/115) 12-JUL-1979.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 22 2008 4:36PM