Find Spot record GSE 031 - Roman artefact scatter
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5367 8893 (100m by 100m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||GISLEHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1993: Following discovery of single sherd of Rom pottery in Med pit (see GSE 028 Med) several more sherds recorded as found `some distance further northwards from the medieval area'. Listed as 18 body sherds (2 probably from indented beakers) which include(?) 6 rim profiles and at least 2 bases. Also two mortaria sherds, 3 Samian sherds, 5 tegula fragments and 4 `flat bricks'. Details in (S1).
Formerly recorded under GSE 028 relocated after (S2). Described as pottery, flat tiles and roofing tile pieces `in a black band of material some three feet down from present ground level', measuring `eight feet four inches in length and just over eight inches thick one end, tapering to nothing'. Some of the remains are water worn while other pieces are reasonably sharp and this applies to the coarseware pottery which consists of small grey rims, body sherds and the odd part base... while reasonable sized pieces of mortarium were recovered with fragments of samian at beach level (near Med pits GSE 024, 028, 029 & 033)(S3).
Full list of finds in (S4), include coin of Valentinian II (AD 378-383) and stamped samian sherd of COMITIALIS of Rheinzabern. Environmental evidence (P Murphy) demonstrated abundant charred cereal remains, especially of spelt. Details in (S4).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2)(S3)(S4).
- <S1> SSF5415 (No record type): Durbidge P, `Pakefield Cliff Finds', LALHS Annual Report, 26, 1993-1994, ill.
- <S2> SSF5424 (No record type): Durbidge P, letter to SAU (Pendleton C), and annotated map, February 1996.
- <S3> SSF5420 (No record type): Durbidge P, letter to SAU (Boulter S), March 1995.
- <S4> SSF5406 (No record type): Durbidge P (LALHS), `Romano British Evidence' Ann Rep LALHS, 1996/97, 7- 8.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 18 2014 9:37AM