Monument record BSE 139 - Town Defences: W section (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8518 6423 (69m by 1054m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Assumed line of town ditch (see below) from the Risby Gate (BSE 067) to the West Gate (BSE 066). Based on building (& wall/ bank? ) line on Downing's & Warren's maps of 1740 & 1747 (S1)(S2), the ditch, if followed by the later defence line, presumably ran along the E side of St Andrews Street South.
The evidence for a LSax origin is based on William of Malmesbury quoting a tradition that Cnut (AD 1016-1035) had built a ditch round the town (S3)(R1).
2010: Part of the town ditch seen in monitoring BSE 295 (S4).
For continuation to N see BSE 136 and to S, see BSE 140.
Also Med & PMed.
- <R1> SSF10693 (No record type): Malmesbury, W. of. Malmesbury W, Gesta Pontificum Anglorum, 155.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF5360 (No record type): Downing A, A new and accurate plan of the Ancient Borough of Bury St Edmunds, 1740.
- <S2> SSF22859 (No record type): Warren T, map, A Survey of the Ancient Borough of Bury St Edmunds, 1747.
- <S3> SSF23008 (No record type): West S E, PSIA, 32, 1970, 17-24.
- <S4> SSF53661 Unpublished document: Tester, A.. 2010. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Land to Rear of 82 Guildhall Street, Bury St Edmunds, BSE 295.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 9 2011 10:59AM