Monument record BSE 139 - Town Defences: W section (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8519 6444 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Assumed line of town defences (wall, bank(?) & ditch?) between Risbygate (BSE 067) and Westgate (BSE 066) after Downing's & Warren's maps (S1)(S2). A property line on the 1886 OS 1:500 map (S3) appears to correlate with that shown on the C18 maps although it is not clear whether this represents the front (as suggested by Downing's map) or the rear (as suggested on Warren's map) of the mapped buildings. A bank probably existed to the E of the (wall? ) line and a ditch to the W.
Documentary evidence records that Abbot Anselm (1121-1148) built stone walls around the town and the abbey precinct (S4).
For details of the Sax (origin?) ditch see Sax.
For details of Med wall see BSE 136 and for later wall see PMed.
For continuation to N see BSE 136 & to S see BSE 140.
- <R1> SSF10693 (No record type): Malmesbury, W. of. Malmesbury W, Gesta Pontificum Anglorum, 155.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1)(S2).
- <S1> SSF5360 (No record type): Downing A, A new and accurate plan of the Ancient Borough of Bury St Edmunds, 1740.
- <S2> SSF22859 (No record type): Warren T, map, A Survey of the Ancient Borough of Bury St Edmunds, 1747.
- <S3> SSF12805 (No record type): OS, 1:500 map, 1886.
- <S4> SSF54233 Bibliographic reference: Margaret Statham. 1996. The Book of Bury St Edmunds. 2nd ed. p13.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2012 3:47PM