Monument record BSE 142 - SE Town Defences (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8637 6335 (92m by 31m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Possible line of town ditch, bank(?) and wall(?) between the Southgate (BSE 064) and the River Lark. A ditch is shown from the River Lark to TL 8619 6331 as Warren's map of 1747 which may link, via The Grindle, to the Friars Lane ditch - see BSE 140.
An alternative line, presently backed by a C17-C19 flint wall, may run N from TL 8619 6331 and then E to the river, as shown on Warren's map, through the Haberden (see BSE 061).
Documentary evidence records that Abbot Anselm (1121-1148) built stone walls around the town and the abbey precinct (S2).
For line to west see BSE 140. For details of Sax (origin?) of ditch and Med wall, see BSE 139.
- <R1> SSF10693 (No record type): Malmesbury, W. of. Malmesbury W, Gesta Pontificum Anglorum, 155.
- <S1> SSF22859 (No record type): Warren T, map, A Survey of the Ancient Borough of Bury St Edmunds, 1747.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
- <S2> SSF54233 Bibliographic reference: Margaret Statham. 1996. The Book of Bury St Edmunds. 2nd ed. p13.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2012 3:49PM