Monument record CAC 014 - Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville, (Prehistoric).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5187 8994 (303m by 268m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||CARLTON COLVILLE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (13)
- FEATURE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- PARISH BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BURNT MOUND (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FEATURE (Unknown date)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- POST HOLE (Unknown date)
- PARISH BOUNDARY (Unknown date)
- FEATURE (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- SITE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
1996: Series of Neolithic, Prehistoric & Undated finds & features discovered in 8 trial trenches during evaluation. Finds include 8 Prehistoric worked flints, numerous burnt flints (Prehistoric?) and 121 sherds of Iron Age pottery and 1 fragment of "very pitted bronze, possibly a fragment of bronze `cake' or ingot" (from a feature with only Prehistoric finds including 20 Iron Age sherds).
Details in (S1) and (S2).
Also note subsequent excavations CAC 016 & CAC 042 within area.
Descriptions of finds are broad, dating to a specific period bracket is ill-advised. However, they may be later Prehistoric, based on find context, (S3).
- --- SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S1> SSF51479 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 1996. Eval report. Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville.
- <S2> SSF55359 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Pendleton, C. & Plouviez, J.. 1997. Archaeology in Suffolk 1996. XXXIX (1).
- <S3> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- FSF19238: POTTERY (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF19239: WORKED OBJECT (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF19240: (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF19241: POT BOILER (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF19242: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19243: POTTERY (14th century to 15th century - 1301 AD to 1400 AD)
- FSF19244: STRAP END (14th century to 15th century - 1301 AD to 1400 AD)
- FSF19751: POTTERY (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF19752: FLAKE (MIS13 to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF19753: POT BOILER (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF19754: INGOT (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF22500: POT BOILER (Undated)
- FSF22501: METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- FSF22502: VESSEL (Undated)
- FSF22503: INGOT (Undated)
- FSF22504: MILLSTONE (Undated)
- FSF22505: STRAP END (Undated)
- FSF22506: POTTERY (Undated)
- FSF24536: SLAG (Undated)
- FSF30925: POTTERY PETERBOROUGH (Middle Neolithic - 3500 BC to 2701 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 27 2019 10:17AM