Monument record WLB 022 - World War Two anti-glider ditches
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 480 739 (352m by 634m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WALBERSWICK, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Group of 2nd World War anti-glider ditches on East Hill (S1). For others to N see WLB 021.
January 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The anti-glider ditches described above are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs (S2), along with many practice trenches within the same field, and possible bomb craters to the east, which have not been mapped as they are outside the scope of the current project. The anti-glider ditches are still discernable on recent Lidar imagery (S3). The anti-glider ditches have also been previously recorded as SHER WLB 030.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 22nd January 2015.
- <S1> SSF13138 (No record type): OS, APs, 70 227 153 & 154, 1970.
- <M1> SSF44989 (No record type): APs: (S1).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/929 RS 4124-4125 16-OCT-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TM4773 Environment Agency 30-NOV-2010 (2m DTM Digital).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM47SE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF22912)
Record last edited
Feb 26 2015 2:11PM