Monument record EXG 069 - Newmarket Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6127 6355 (50m by 50m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||NEWMARKET, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||EXNING, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round barrow (site of) depicted on OS 1st editiion map (S1). According to (S2)(R1) sited to TL 6122 6359. `It is now visible on APs as a ploughed-out ring ditch, 70ft in diameter' (S2)(R1). For alternative location see EXG 070. Visible on OS APs (S2)(R2) & CUCAP APs (S3)(R3).
April 1995: Transferred from Cambridgeshire to Suffolk with county boundary change.
September 1996: Relocated to TL 6127 6356 approximately after (S1). Precise location needs checking against APs (?centred around TL 612 636 in (S3).
- <S1> SSF12820 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1836. OS, 1st ed 1 inch map, 1836. OS, 1st ed 1 inch map, 1836.
- <R1> SSF17477 (No record type): RCHM, NE Cambs, 1972, 40.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <R2> SSF15244 (No record type): OS, record card.
- <S2> SSF3096 (No record type): Cambs CC, Archaeological SMR, 07465, November 1985.
- <S3> SSF3098 (No record type): Cambs CC, Archaeological SMR, 09030.
- <R3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs, XS 8-10, 25/03/1959.
- <R4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, unspecified.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 30 2021 1:36PM