Monument record STN 052 - Probable post medieval boundary bank
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 801 869 (190m by 433m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
September 1996: Slight linear earthwork bank partially visible in area of cleared forestry plantation (S1). Partially shown on OS 1st edition map of 1824 (S2) where links to further banks STN 050 and probably to STN 051. Overlies ditches STN 053.
October 1996: Area destumped by Forestry Commission - banks now hardly traceable.
July 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The probable post medieval boundary bank described above, is likely to be the same as that visible as an earthwork between TL 8002 8715 and TL 8012 8692, on imagery from a recent lidar survey (S3) and on aerial photographs (S4). There is some discrepancy in the locations recorded from the lidar and by the earlier survey. The survey described above also traced the bank 185m further south than is visible on the lidar, where it has presumably since been levelled by forestry operations. For these reasons, the amended polygon defining the site encompasses both the original location and that mapped from the lidar. It also includes the location of a boundary on the digitised Ordnance Survey 1st edition six inch map (S5, the southwest edge of Hill Plantation, from TL 8014 8686 to TL 8020 8672), which probably corresponds to the now levelled southern portion of the boundary.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 6th July 2017.
- <S1> SSF20172 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, July 1996.
- <S2> SSF12819 (No record type): OS, 1st ed 1 inch map, 1824.
- <S3> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Santon Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 1999 ACCESSED 06-JUL-2017 (Digital).
- <S5> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map, accessible via www.historic-maps.norfolk.gov.uk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2019 1:15PM