Monument record LCS 002 - World War II pillbox within a medieval Abbey chapel
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 473 659 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Scheduled 2nd World War Pill Box (within area of Med Abbey)(S1).
A square pillbox, c 4.5m across, is visible as a structure within the walls of the medieval Leiston Chapel at TM47326598 on aerial photographs from 1941 (S2), 1943 (S3) & 1945 (S4). Aerial photographs from 1940 (S5) show that at this date, the pillbox had not been constructed. The pillbox would have been a component of the extensive World War II defences in this area, and would have been situated at the east end of the chapel to take advantage of the camouflage offered by the medieval ruins. The pillbox can still be clearly seen on aerial photographs from 2000 (S6).
Plan, photos and description in (S7).
2008: As part of a grant aided programme of consolidation works to the building known as Minsmere Chapel, English Heritage required archaeological recording and interpretation to be undertaken. The third phase involved the insertion of a World War II pillbox into the eastern end of the structure and utilised the existing architectural openings
At Minsmere Chapel, Old Leiston Abbey. N of Sizewell Power Station - on road between Dunwich and Sizewell. Pillbox, scheduled with the abbey ruins into which it is built (S9).
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. S/524 H14 Frms28-30 21-Sep-1941.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. AC165 Frm5075 4-Jan-1943.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK929 Frms4208-4210;3160;3162 16-Oct-1945.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 2/BR11/14 FrmsA19-A20 8-Jul-1940.
- <S6> SXS50086 Photograph: Environment Agency Aerial Photography. 51/00/53 Frm470 12-Aug-2000.
- <S7> SSF50225 Unpublished document: David Sims. 2006. The military defence of a section of the Suffolk Coastline 1939 to 1942. Fig 88, plan; Fig 89 photos.
- <S8> SSF52569 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 2008. Building Recording report. Leiston Old Abbey Chapel (LCS 002), Leiston.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: Leiston Old Abbey Chapel, Building Recording (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-41038) (ESF20015)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone NMP Project (EXS18033)
Record last edited
Feb 23 2016 3:51PM