Monument record WRW 042 - Wordwell Lodge, Wordwell Warren
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 837 764 (63m by 62m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WEST STOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WORDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Site of 'Wordwell Lodge' shown by Hodskinson in 1783. At least two buildings depicted (S1).
Possible one building shown in 1836 (S2) at TL 8316 7623 approx.
Location, as measured from Hodskinson's map and shown on OS, falls just within West Stow parish where curve in parish boundary, so perhaps inaccurately mapped (Hodskinson) or building/s other than Warren Lodge (OS) .
Area now part of Kings Forest. Location needs checking.
'Lodge' and possibly two buildings shown on Estate map of 1800 (S3) at TL 8360 7646 (approx). Relocated (to Wordwell from West Stow parish) on HER map and site code changed from WSW 052 to WRW 042 accordingly (CP, 17/07/2008). Note change of parish boundary alignment at this point.
Revised location needs checking on the ground to see if any physical remains visible.
30/08/2008: rapid walk over survey(see event mapping for area walked) in area of revised location (under circa 15 year old pine crop) failed to identify any evidence for lodge though ground very flat suggesting agriculture (shown as arable on 1880 and later maps) and forestry actions would have removed any upstanding evidence. Site may show as discoloured area on RAF 1946 aerial photograph (S4).
For entry for Rabbit Warren see WRW 043 and for related(?) banks see BNH 052 & WRW 044.
2010 and 2017 Breckland Society's surveys of the Warrens of Breckland did not find any trace of the lodge visible on the ground (S5)(S6).
- <S1> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S2> SSF12862 (No record type): OS, 1st edition one inch map, 1836.
- <S3> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Map, A survey and rough Plan of Wordwell Estate in the County of Suffolk, 1800, SRO (Bury).
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. Suffolk CC, digital copy of circa 1946 Aps.
- <S5> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society. P 37.
- <S6> SSF58551 Unpublished document: The Breckland Society. 2017. The Internal Archaeology of the Breckland Warrens. p.28.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
May 8 2018 11:27AM