Monument record WRW 043 - Wordwell Warren; Kings Forest
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8359 7588 (1222m by 1278m)|
|Civil Parish||WORDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- RABBIT WARREN (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD? (at some time))
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY (Unknown date)
Wordwell Rabbit Warren. Area defined on HER map after mapping of 1840 (S1) where labelled 'Warren Old Ground'. Includes E side bank identified in Rapid Identification surveys for Forestry Commission in 1997 and April-May 2009 when further pre-destumping survey by John Craven located the NE-SW warren boundary bank which was recorded as circa 6-7m wide 'along edge of trackway. Broadens and flattens to south where it is less visible'. FC advised against destumping this earthwork (S3). Survival of bank not checked further to S or on S & W sides.
For associated Warrener's lodge see WRW 042 and for banks see BNH 052 (N side, also parish boundary). A bank marking the W side and parish boundary is also suggested on the 1800 map.
For documentary history consult Anne Mason.
Needs full survey - present condition largely unknown.
2010: Breckland Society's survey of The Warrens of Breckland could not find any archaeological evidence of warren banks. The warren was in existance in 1800 shown on the map of the parish with the warren occupying 189 acres in the north-east corner of the parish. The 1840 Tithe Map shows all parish land as either arable or woodland and in the north-west corner ae the names "Warren Breck" and "Warren Covert" (S2).
2017: Four visits with extensive field-walking of the warren area found only the possible eastern perimeter bank and the north-east to south-west perimeter bank (6m wider) along the edge of a forestry ride (S4).
July 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Sections of earthwork bank of a probable medieval – post medieval date are seen on visualised lidar data (S6). The sections of bank may have related to the eastern boundary of Wordwell rabbit warren recorded from cartographic sources in close proximity. The bank is also seen on the Frist Edition Ordnance Survey map (S7) and may have related to a post medieval boundary. Further possible banks have been recorded which may relate to the Warren’s northern (BNH 052) and western boundaries (WRW 077) as well as possible internal features (WRW 079). These features have been recorded under separate SHER numbers as these banks may not have been solely attributed to the warren and may have had further functions such as parish boundaries.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 18th July 2019.
- <S1> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Map, A survey and rough plan of Wordwell Estate…, SRO (Bury), 1800.
- <S2> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society. P 37.
- <S3> SSF50355 Unpublished document: Craven, J.. 2009. Archaeological Survey Report: Rapid ID Survey of FC land Norfolk & Suffolk. p4 & fig 2.
- <S4> SSF58551 Unpublished document: The Breckland Society. 2017. The Internal Archaeology of the Breckland Warrens. p.22.
- <S5> SSF58553 Unpublished document: Mason, A.. 2009. The Archaeology of the Warrens of Thetford Forest.
- <S6> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S7> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL77NE/77SE/87NW/87SW, Mapping Block 3: Breckland Aerial Investigation & Mapping (NMP) Project (ESF27300)
- Event - Survey: Rapid earthwork identification survey, 2009 (ESF20082)
- Event - Survey: Survey - Internal Archaeology of the Breckland Warrens (ESF26238)
- Event - Survey: Survey by The Breckland Society - The Warrens of Breckland (ESF26143)
Record last edited
Mar 10 2020 3:23PM