Monument record CAM 007 - South Fields, Cavenham
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 768 691 (50m by 50m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CAVENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Polished stone axe found on the surface circa TL 767 692 following ploughing in 1943-1944. Light brown, 10 x 7cm at the cutting edge and 3.2cm thick. Polished at the cutting end. Damaged in antiquity at the cutting edge. Thin sectioned - olivine basalt (S1, S3, S4).
A ground quartzite pebble also found at TL 7683 6914 (S2).
- <S1> SSF56043 Article in serial: Owles, E. J.. 1975. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1975. XXXIII.3, pp. 322–328.. PSIA, 33, 1975, (3), 310, (ill).
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76NE7, 1953.
- <S3> SSF3746 Bibliographic reference: Clough T H McK & Cummins W A, (eds). 1988. Stone Axe Studies.
- <S4> SSF16659 Article in serial: Wainwright et al. 1972. The Excavation of a Neolithic Settlement on Broome Heath, Ditchingham, Norfolk, England. Proceedings Prehistoric Society, 38, 1972.
- <S5> SSF12280 Bibliographic reference: NWHCM. NWHCM, Regional List, S21. NWHCM, Regional List, S21.
- <S6> SSF59880 Cartographic materials: Briscoe, G. 1953. MIHLM, Correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, 1953.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 13 2021 12:55PM