Monument record BRH 021 - Shrubland Hall; Shrubland Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 122 529 (2546m by 3069m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BARHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||CODDENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
When the SIA visited Shrubland Hall in May 1982 the following note was provided by Mr Graeme Moore, the garden designer working at Shrubland : "The most famous feature in the gardens at Shrubland Hall is the grand staircase designed by Sir Charles Barry in 1851-1852. It is well known that this was based on part of garden of Villa d'Este at Tivoli, but Barry's preliminary drawing of 1849 appears to owe something to garden of Villa Garzoni at Collodi. Scrolled carpet bedding around fountain basin, pavilion, and some statues attest to that idea. Staircase was built to connect upper garden terrace on W side of house with succession of early Victorian gardens laid out southwards along the hillside, and other drawings on display showed some of those older parts of lower garden : segmental 'hot wall' of circa 1841 enclosing modest fountain garden and maze, completed just before Barry started work in 1848. A winding path connects these again with house, so there is a circuit in the grounds, and in this respect it has become a very modern garden. Planting too has been kept up to date since 1888 when William Robinson did away with pattern of carpet beds on upper terrace" (precis) (S1)
For site of earlier hall see CDD 020.
Full area of Shrubland Park as defined by HBMCE Register of Parks and Gardens. Park c.175 ha, elaborate and extensive Italianate terraced gardens and pleasure grounds c.25 ha. Planting proposals by Repton 1789. Terraced gardens 1848-52 by Charles Barry based on layout of c.1830-32 by J P Gaudy Deering, modified 1888 by William Robinson. Flight of stairways and balustraded steps.
Balcony garden; panel garden; green terrace; formal fountain garden; Chinese garden; Swiss cottage; rock garden; maze; lake of 1866; pentagonal tower late C18; Ipswich Lodge 1841. "The most famous C19 garden of its kind" (S2).
House, Italianate villa, 1770-72 by James Paine; remodelled 1830-32 by J P Gaudy Deering (S2).
Icehouse is sited behind the kitchen gardens and in 1990 was in good condition. It has an irregular hexagonal frontage. Within, the round ice-chamber, bricked and rendered, has a shallowly inclining wall base c. 2.5m. Its overall height is 2m. There is a hole in the ceiling fitted with a concrete slab. The floor is earth, but, beneath, the soil is light, porous and sandy. The source of the ice was from the nearby pond. The owner estimated that the icehouse was built c. 1860 and fell out of use c.1918 (S3). Exact location not known.
- <R1> SSF23236 (No record type): Williamson T, Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <S1> SSF6206 (No record type): Excursions 1982, PSIA, 35, 1983, (3), 240.
- <S2> SSF5733 (No record type): English Heritage, Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England: Pt 39 Suffo.
- <S3> SSF1171 Monograph: Beamon, S. P. and Roaf, S.. 1990. The Ice-Houses of Britain. p.400.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 9 2018 9:39AM