Monument record FSG 013 - Neolithic to Bronze Age features and Iron Age cremations at Ingham Quarry
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 846 687 (182m by 145m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FORNHAM ST GENEVIEVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- PIT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- DITCH (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POST HOLE (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- CREMATION (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POST HOLE (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC to 3001 BC)
- FEATURE (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC to 3001 BC)
- PIT (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
Discreet group of features and finds (`EIA') found during evaluation of wider area, FSG 012, in 1996. Details in (S1). Full excavation to follow. Similar group of (contemporary?) features/finds to SW - see FSG 014.
Excavation undertaken April/May 1997 in advance of an extension to Tarmac's Ingham Quarry. Evaluation 'trenching' in October 1996 had revealed Iron Age features and a cremation within a ring ditch (FSG 015). Excavation on site FSG 013 revealed four more scattered cremations, indicating dispersed, possibly domestic, occupation of the site in the Iron Age.
Early Neolithic post holes and a feature were also identifieid along with Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age pits. Occasional features and residual and intrustive pottery from the Roman and medieval perioids were identified. There was an absence of structural features which may be due to loss of evidence of shallower features as a result of later agricultural activity (S2)(S3) (S4).
FSG 013 - Pits/postholes with a post medieval ditch, a small group of slots/gullies and four cremations. Main periods of occupation identified as Late |Neolithic/Early Bronze Age and Iron Age. Details in (S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF19304 (No record type): SAU, Gill D, FSG 012, Ingham Quarry Evaluation report, SCC Report 96/74, November 1996, ill.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <M2> SSF45102 (No record type): Excavation file:.
- <S2> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Suffolk County Council (Anderson S & Caruth J), Report No 98/91, 1998.
- <S3> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (1), p.96.
- <S4> SSF56646 Article in serial: Caruth, J. & Anderson, S.. 1999. 'A Report on the Excavation at Ingham Quarry, Suffolk' in Tarmac Papers, Volume III..
- FSF20470: POTTERY (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF20471: LOOMWEIGHT (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF20472: SPINDLE WHORL (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF20473: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF20474: ANIMAL REMAINS (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF43158: POTTERY (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF43159: POTTERY (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF43160: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF43161: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF43162: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 11 2016 1:45PM