Monument record BAR 064 - Bardwell Hall Manor, now Moat House

Please read our .

Summary

An estate map by William Warren, dated 1730, depicts 'Bardwell Hall Manor'.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 9430 7409 (104m by 136m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL97SW
Civil Parish BARDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

An estate map by William Warren, dated 1730, depicts `Bardwell Hall Manor' (S1). A manor house with a symmetrical 5-bay frontage is shown on the N side of a courtyard with a barn and stable. To the north of the house a large rectangular garden is shown with a long narrow pond or canal along its W edge. The map bears the coat of arms of Sir William Lee, a judge. The existing house is in the same position as the one on the map but is unrecognisable as it. The canal still exists and is water-filled (S2).

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury M550/1.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: tracing of (S1).
  • <S2> (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, 1994.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 23 2011 5:34PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.