Monument record ADB 022 - The Gun Site, Aldeburgh
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4656 5728 (25m by 27m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
The building has a distinctive open `V' ground plan seen elsewhere on coastal battery sites, eg, see `The Battery' Shingle Street . The battery is marked on a military plan of Aldeburgh dated 1779 (S1).
A volunteer from the Defence of Britain Project, reported that the standing building is a pre 1779 barracks associated with the two batteries which stood there and is in excellent condition.
The batteries are shown in detail on a map of 1812 (SRO, HB6:406/180 (10)). The building is mapped and named as a barracks on the 1884 OS 1:10560. It was occupied by the army in WW2 (R1).
June 2001: Monitoring of alterations to 'The Gun Site', Aldeburgh, revealed a red-brick lined well of presumably Victorian date. No positive evidence of any former use of the structure, other than as a dwelling, was revealed (S2).
The Gunsite, Thorpe Road, Aldeburgh. Building, which was originally built as a gun battery against the French (1813), and which was occupied by troops for defence purposes in WW2 (probably to house a gun battery). In 1998 it was threatened with demolition for a housing development (S3).
- <R1> SSF10220 (No record type): Kerr, A.. Kerr A.
- <S1> SSF1568 Cartographic materials: Military plan of Aldeburgh dated 1779.
- <S2> SSF54417 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2002. Archaeological Monitoring Report: The Gun Site, Aldeburgh.
- <S3> SSF54450 Digital archive: Defence of Britain Project archive. UORN: S0013594.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2017 2:35PM