Building record HRF 005 - Church of St Margaret
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4766 9781 (28m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
St Margaret's church, Saxo-Norman with a round tower.
There appears to have been a door in the tower of Heringfleet (sic) ... the tower show(s) a deviation from the Circular to the Pointed, and a mixture of style ... straight lined arches prevail (S1).
C11 The mid wall work ... is Sax tradition but Norman character. Rest of church Saxo-Norman as St Mary's Haddiscoe (OS TM49NW2) (R2). Sax round W tower 16 feet diameter externally 45 feet high period C3 (AD 1050-1100) (R1) (S2).
- <R1> SSF22007 (No record type): Taylor and Taylor, Anglo Saxon architecture, 1, 1965, 296-297.
- <R1> SSF22018 (No record type): Taylor H M & Taylor J, AS Architecture, 1, 1965, 296-7.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM49NE6, 1978.
- <S1> SSF6731 (No record type): Gage J, Observations on the ecclesiastical round towers of Norfolk & Suffolk, Archaeologia, 23, 1831.
- <R2> SSF2410 (No record type): Brown G B, Arts in Early England, 2, 1925, 459.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM49NE6, 1978.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 3 2018 9:17AM