Monument record BEL 026 - Iron Age and Middle Saxon activity, Kesgrave Quarry (N Face)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 22454 46568 (144m by 82m)|
|Civil Parish||KESGRAVE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE BEALINGS, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
January 1999: Evaluation of Kesgrave quarry north face revealed archaeological finds and features. Cut features included 5 small pits and 4 ditches, 1 of which contained BA pottery (Beaker), undated patinated flint flakes, 2 iron nails, 1 unidentified iron bar fragment. Ditches appear to represent boundaries, numerous re-cuts, probably remnants of field systems and date from at latest the Med period (S1)(S2).
Subsequent monitoring revealed 17 pits, of which 7 contained a significant Early Bronze Age and Iron Age pottery assemblage, 14 ditches and 3 post-holes (S3). The earliest phase of occupation on this site dates to the Early Bronze Age through a significant pottery assemblage although few features. The most important occupation period appears to date to the Iron Age with another significant pottery assemblage collected from 8 pits and a ditch. The pits have been interpreted as refuse pits. The next phase of activity is a series of linear features spread across the site. These may have a long date range as artefacts from a range of periods were recovered although many are likely to be residual. Most of the ditches are probably remnants of field systems (S3)
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. S1, S2, S3.
- <S1> SSF51419 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 1999. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Kesgrave Quarry, Kesgrave.
- <S2> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. SAU, Newman J, January 1999.
- <S3> SSF51572 Unpublished document: Topham-Smith, C.. 1999. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Kesgrave Quarry, Kesgrave.
- FSF24545: POTTERY (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF26379: WORKED OBJECT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF26380: NAIL (Early Iron Age to IPS: Post Medieval - 800 BC to 1900 AD)
- FSF26419: POTTERY (Middle Saxon to Medieval - 650 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF26420: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Undated)
- FSF33613: POTTERY (Early Iron Age - 700 BC to 401 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2020 11:20AM