Monument record BSE 181 - Former Andrews and Plumptons Yard, St Andrews Street South (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 85217 63998 (21m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
July 2000: Trenched evaluation of former yard revealed large town ditch and remains of bank and wall and subsequent buildings. An evaluation carried out in advance of development explored the line of the town wall and properties which fronted onto it. A section was cut across the town ditch which was at least 4m deep and c.10m wide. Pottery suggests it was infilled during the 16th century.
Trial excavations of soil buried beneath the town bank revealed LSax/Med and Rom pottery and prehistoric material. Also a sizeable collection of worked prehistoric flint. Details in (S1).
Documentary evidence records that Abbot Anselm (1121-1148) built stone walls around the town and the abbey precinct (S3).
Further excavations confirmed findings - details in (S2).
- <S1> SSF50056 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service evaluation report. SAU (AT) Evaluation Report, SCCAS Report 2000/36, July 2000, ill.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1)(S2).
- <S2> SSF50028 Excavation archive: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Excavation Report. SAU (AT) Excavation Report, SCCAS Report 2000/39, September 2000, ill.
- <S3> SSF54233 Bibliographic reference: Margaret Statham. 1996. The Book of Bury St Edmunds. 2nd ed. p13.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2012 3:54PM