Monument record BSE 179 - Medieval Town Ditch, bank. possible town wall and pits on Land to rear of 71 Guildhall Street; St Andrew Street South (Med)

Please read our .

Summary

Monitoring of house building across line of town defences revealed edge of town ditch, part of town bank, medieval (?) pits and possible town wall.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 85228 63946 (20m by 14m)
Map sheet TL86SE
Civil Parish BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (6)

Full Description

April 2000: Monitoring of construction on a property straddling the Bury St Edmunds medieval town ditch revealed a chalk bank sealing a buried brown sandy soil. The foundations of the town (Med) wall may show in section but identification is uncertain (S1).
Documentary evidence records that Abbot Anselm (1121-1148) built stone walls around the town and the abbey precinct (S2).

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
  • <S1> Unpublished document: Tester, A.. 2000. Archaeological Monitoring Report - Land to the Rear of 71 Guildhall Street, St Andrews St. South, Bury St Edmunds.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Margaret Statham. 1996. The Book of Bury St Edmunds. 2nd ed. p13.

Finds (4)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Dec 1 2022 3:05PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.