Monument record FML 027 - The Maltings, Bridge Street (Med)

Please read our .

Summary

Desk-based assessment & trenched evaluation of site suggest presence of Med water mill, bridge and a LSax/Med manorial boundary.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 28372 63542 (102m by 92m)
Map sheet TM26SE
Civil Parish FRAMLINGHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (5)

Full Description

2000: Desk-based assessment & trenched evaluation of site suggest presence of Med water mill (also see FML 023) bridge and a LSax/Med manorial boundary. (S1).
A desk-based assessment concluded that the nature of the documentary evdience makes it difficult to argue that a mill has existed on this site from the late medieval period. The evidence for a mill is suggested by the name of the bridge first recorded in 1589 and by the discovery of mill timbers in the area in 1833. However, the timbers were not carefully described and all the other mills mentioned in Framlingham were windmills. The descriptions of the adjoining properties along Bridge Street are consistent with descriptions in the Glebe Terriers of lands owned by the church and suggest that the eastern corner of the site joins close to the boundary of the rectory manor. The site of the rectory and its gardens can be associated with a late Saxon manor of pre-conquest date and as such this boundary is of significance in the understanding of the development of Framlingham in the early medieval period. (S1).
Evaluation of a site north of bridge street identified archaeological fetaures associated with the medieval management of the naturally formed Framlingham Mere. These included a mill leat, mere boundary ditch and mill bank, all previously known from documentary and map evidence. Structural evidence was limited to features of indeterminate function on the western bank of the River Ore. While the association of these features with a watermill could not be ruled out, it was considered more likely that they were related to an earlier bridge or river revetment structure. (S2)
Includes (?) part of mere site (see FML 021). For details see (S1)(S2).

October/November 2000: Monitoring of ground disturbance associated with development. Also recording of Medieval dressed and moulded limestone blocks re-utilised in Post Medieval wall - details in (S3).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Breen A, SCCAS Desk-based Assessment Report, 2000/22, March 2000, ill.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish Files. (S1)(S2).
  • <S1> Unpublished document: Breen, A.. Desk-based Assessment Report: Former Garage and Mill Site, Bridge Street, Framlingham.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 2000. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Former Tannery and Mill Sites, Bridge Street, Framlingham.
  • <S3> Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. SCCAS, Meredith J, Report 2000/100, August 2001.

Finds (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Dec 15 2022 2:41PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.