Monument record TNG 010 - Church of St Peter (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4227 7414 (95m by 43m)|
|Civil Parish||THORINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
St Peter's church, Thorington, has a Saxo-Norman round tower to the W, with flintwork arcading. The main fabric of the nave may also date from this period. In the C14 and C19 the chancel was rebuilt and during the early C16 brick battlements were added to the tower (S1).
Named on OS 1:10560 map, undated (S2). Further details in (S3)(R1-R3).
- <R1> SSF22008 (No record type): Taylor and Taylor, Anglo-Saxon architecture, 1965, 2, 612-613 (ill).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM48SW8, 1978.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S3).
- <S2> SSF15203 (No record type): OS, map 1:10560, TM47SW.
- <R2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Suffolk, 1961, 429.
- <M2> SSF41422 (No record type): Photographs: slides CQO 49-52.
- <S3> SSF240 (No record type): Anon, `Some Historical Facts about Thorington Church', undated ms.
- <R3> SSF5119 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Little guide to Suffolk, 1957, 336.
- <S4> SSF20740 (No record type): SAU, slides, CQO 49-52, January 1992.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 17 1993 12:00AM