Monument record LKH 022 - Undley ringwork, Lakenheath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6979 8186 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
(TL 69758185) (2) Earthworks approximately 132ft in diameter but not exactly circular. (S1-S2)
Excavated in 1948, a section was cut through the ditch and into the central portion (see plan). No post holes were seen but domestic animal bones, sling stones, Roman-British and 2nd C Samian ware found. Romano-British pottery discovered at a relatively high level in the silting of the ditch suggests the work is of Early Iron Age date. (S3)
TL 69758187. This feature was bulldozed some years ago and in now ploughed regularly. It shows as a slightly depressed peaty
circle enclosing an area with a higher lime content than the surrounding land.
Surveyed at 1:2500. (S4)
The cropmark remains of a large ring ditch which is visible on aerial photographs taken in 2011. Earlier field observations noted by the previous authorities record an Early Iron Age earthwork - probably the barrow mound (now levelled) and finds including animal bones, sling stones, Roman pottery which may be related with the barrow or later usage of the site. Two further smaller possible Bronze Age barrows can also be seen as cropmarks to the north and south of this site. These are recorded separately. (S5)
- <S1> SSF6540 Article in serial: Fowler G. 1950. Trial excavations in Undley ring work. Fowler G, Trial excavations in Undley ring work, PCAS 43, 1950, 1.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF16364 Bibliographic reference: Phillips C W. 1970. The Fenland in Roman Times.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 BHS 31-JAN-74.
- <S5> SSF59875 Oblique Aerial Photograph: NMR. 2011. NMR 27045_041 27-JUN-2011.
- <S6> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL68SE1.
- <S7> SSF18412 Photograph: SAU. 1977. AP AFF 03 04, 1977. SAU, AP AFF 03 04, 1977.
- <S8> SSF13055 Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1971. OS, AP, 71/216/148, 1971. OS, AP, 71/216/148, 1971.
- <S9> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S10> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 17 2020 2:45PM