Monument record EDN 022 - Mill Meadow (1837): Great Mill Field (1837); Little Mill Field (1837)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9521 4256 (6m by 5m)|
|Civil Parish||EDWARDSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Windmill suggested by field names: 'Mill Meadow', 'Great Mill Field', and 'Little Mill Field' in 1838 Tithe (plots 71, 202 & 203, respectively). No further information. Probably the same as a smock mill mapped in 1783 (S2) at Mill Green 'TL 952 326' (S3).
According to Dolman base was demolished mid-1960s (S4). A smock mill (Mill Green) - stood until 1918 on a mound (S5).
- <M1> SSF50108 Source Checked: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Mills File. (S3)(S4)(S5).
- <S1> SSF56694 Map: 1838. Edwardstone Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <S2> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S3> SSF6481 Unpublished document: Flint,B.. 1979. Suffolk Windmills.
- <S4> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey.
- <S5> SSF50039 Unpublished document: Letter. Dolman P C J, to SCCAS (Martin E), May 1990.
- <S7> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 25" 1884.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 29 2021 12:26PM