Monument record EKE 008 - Site of a large Post Medieval postmill with single storey roundhouse.

Please read our .


Large postmill with single storey roundhouse, demolished in 1910.


Grid reference Centred TM 3185 5205 (82m by 63m)
Map sheet TM35SW


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Large postmill iwth single storey roundhouse, demolished in 1910. The derelict walling of the roundhouse remains. There were four patent sails, two pairs of stone in the head and a fantail (S1). The earliest mapping is 1783 (S2).
Fields in immediate vicinity named 'Mill Piece' (plot 85) & 'Mill Hill' (plot 59) on Tithe (S3)(R1).
'Windmill (corn)' shown on OS 1:2500 map in 1882 & 1904 (S4).

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 42.
  • <R1> Map: 1845. Eyke Tithe Map and Award.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Flint, B.. 1979. Suffolk Windmills. p. 133.
  • <S3> Unpublished document: Suffolk Local History Council. Deben Valley Place Names. Study Group 'Eyke', undated.
  • <S4> Map: OS. OS Map. 1:2500, LXVIII.10, 1904.
  • <S5> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
  • <S6> Article in serial: A, A. Bryan. 1998. Windmill gazetteer for England.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Aug 23 2021 1:45PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.