Monument record BEY 003 - Church of All Saints
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9339 6277 (49m by 81m)|
|Civil Parish||BEYTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
The church lies in the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, the archdeaconry of Sudbury and deanery of Lavenham. Status: rectory (S1). The structure is: chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, round W tower. It has a Norman tower and Norman N doorway (S1).
The Norman `round' tower is in fact oval and is made from flint. The walls are 5 ft thick. It has the unusual later addition of buttresses at the SW and the NW. The Norman N doorway is decorated on its inner circle with a single row of roses on quatrefoils (S2).
The restoration of 1853-1854 was carried out by J Johnson of Bury St Edmunds. The N aisle was added with a Gothic arcade (3 arched pier). The Norman doorway was reset. The nave was given benches. Much work was also done to the exterior (S2).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 11 2009 2:16PM