Monument record IPS 410 - Friars Street, Ipswich, (IAS 4102).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 16199 44410 (6m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
April 2002: Four pits were recorded, one in Test-Pit 1 and three in Test-Pit 2. The artefactual evidence which, due to difficulties in identifying secure contextural information, could not be used to date individual features, ranged in date from Middle Saxon (AD 650-850) to the post-medieval period (S1).
September/October 2002: Only near to the Friars Street frontage could features be detected, including an east to west running ditch dated to the Late Saxon period. This was identified in an area of considerable disturbance caused by modern basements.
The dark soil spread contained finds evidence from the Middle Saxon to the early modern periods, although there appears to be less evidence for the medieval era. Abundant cattle bones and a pottery waster indicate possible industrial use of the site. Prestigious pottery dating from the 16th Century shows that high status dwellings might have been nearby.
The dark soil could be an accumulated deposit of midden material over a long period, but the purposeful dumping of refuse and soil to build up the land surface and protect it from flooding might be a possibility. If this was the case, then the early post-medieval period might have been when this happened (S4).
See also S2-S3.
- <S1> SSF56048 Unpublished document: Boulter S. 2002. Record of an Archaeological Evaluation at Friars Street, Ipswich, IAS 4102 (IPS 410).
- <S2> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 4102.
- <S3> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 4102.
- <S4> SSF56049 Unpublished document: Meredith J,. 2003. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Friars Street Ipswich..
- FSF28004: ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF28005: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 650 AD to 850 AD)
- FSF28006: KNIFE (IPS: Early Late Saxon to Medieval - 850 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF28007: POTTERY (Late Saxon - 850 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF28009: BRICK? (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF28010: POTTERY (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF28933: POTTERY (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 13th century - 1000 AD to 1200 AD)
- FSF28934: POTTERY (12th century to 14th century - 1100 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF28935: FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF28936: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF39997: POTTERY (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- FSF39998: POTTERY (16th century to 17th century - 1550 AD? to 1650 AD?)
- FSF39999: SLAG (Undated)
- FSF40000: ROOF TILE (IPS: Late Medieval Transitional to IPS: Post Medieval - 1451 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF40001: FIRED CLAY (Undated)
- FSF40002: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40003: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 650 AD to 850 AD)
- FSF40004: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF40005: POTTERY ST NEOTS (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 13th century - 900 AD to 1200 AD)
- FSF40006: POTTERY EARLY MEDIEVAL (IPS: Early Medieval - 1001 AD to 1150 AD)
- FSF40007: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF40008: POTTERY CONTINENTAL IMPORT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF40009: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF40010: POTTERY (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
- FSF40011: POTTERY (Unknown date)
- FSF40012: PEG TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF40013: BOTTLE (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF40014: WINE GLASS (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF40015: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 21 2017 2:54PM