Monument record SUY 058 - Land between Weavers Lane and Burkitts Lane
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8726 4134 (48m by 66m)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBURY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
2002: Two evaluation trenches across defensive town ditch, c.13m wide & 3.4m deep. Possible EMed pottery from upper layers (S1)(R1).
2003: Monitoring following evaluation revealed and plotted part of the Saxon town defences of Sudbury, which appears to have been finally backfilled in the C12/C13. Small amount of residual(?) IA (probably) or ESax pottery in primary ditch fill (S2).
A documentary survey was also undertaken by A M Breen (S2).
Monitoring of the same site during May 2004 during excavation of foundations for terraced houses revealed no significant archaeological deposits although a brick lined well, c.8.2m deep was identified (S3).
- <R1> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. SCCAS, Sommers M, email message to Pendleton C, May 2002.
- <S1> SSF51128 Unpublished document: Sommers, M. 2002. Eval/Mon report. Land between Weavers Lan & Burkitts Lane., Sudbury.
- <S2> SSF51284 Unpublished document: Sommers, M. 2003. Eval/Mon report. Land between Burkitt's Lane and Weaver's Lane., Sudbury.
- <S3> SSF51924 Unpublished document: Sommers, M. 2004. Mon report. Land between Burkitts Lane and Weaver's Lane., Sudbury.
- FSF28236: POTTERY (Medieval to 18th century - 1066 AD to 1700 AD)
- FSF28927: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF28928: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF28929: POTTERY (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF28930: POTTERY ST NEOTS (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 14th century - 850 AD to 1300 AD)
- FSF28931: ANIMAL REMAINS (IPS: Early Late Saxon to IPS: Post Medieval - 850 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF28932: SLAG (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 27 2011 12:14PM