Monument record BTM 004 - Beacon Hill, Chalk Hill Round Barrow (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7087 7215 (19m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||BARTON MILLS, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Group of round barrows. Previously four barrows in a line ESE-NNW, two to the W and two to the E of the road, of which the northernmost of the E pair was excavated by Canon Greenwell in 1868 - he found a primary contracted inhumation with plain pottery sherds, flint flakes and scrapers surrounded by a 2 feet high bank of clunch, and a secondary cremation and two inhumations without grave goods. This barrow was 96 feet N-S by 78 feet E-W by 3 feet 9 inches high (S1)(S8).
In 1923 one barrow only survived, on the W of the road, known as Beacon Hill. This barrow, 54 feet diameter and about 8 feet high was excavated by Earl Cawdor and C Fox; it was constructed of sand, containing flint flakes, cores, pot boilers, pottery sherds, animal bones and charcoal with a layer of chalky boulder clay over it. Three contracted inhumations and eleven cremations were found in the clay layer, with three pots. Two bone pins and a bone necklace (spacer beads) were found with the cremations (S1)(S10). Following the 1923 excavation the mound was rebuilt 5 yards NW of its original position (S12). Description of this rebuilt mound, which is Scheduled, in (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4).
An East Anglian type beaker in Colchester Museum is from 'Barton Hill, Mildenhall' (S7). An S3 (E) type beaker in Cambridge Museum, (1897.181) provenanced as Curdle Head, Eriswell, is said (in a manuscript note in the museum,) to be from Barton Hill (S7), as is a flint dagger (S6). A bronze pin, awl or tracer, `much decayed', 4 inches long was found with two flint implements, 3 flakes and half a flint disc with cremation C5 by Cawdor & Fox in the 1923 excavations (S5)(S9)(S10).
- <M1> SSF37516 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, cards TL77SW17, 1979; TL77SW26, 1968.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 18, 1923, 161.
- <R1> SSF7130 (No record type): Greenwell Canon W, Barton Hill, Quarterly Journal, SIA 1869, 20-21.
- <S2> SSF12206 (No record type): NWHCM record 1935.
- <M2> SSF37517 (No record type): Barrow survey:.
- <R2> SSF69 (No record type): Abercromby J, Bronze Age Pottery in Great Britain and Ireland,1912, 2.
- <S3> SSF18220 (No record type): SAU barrow survey record 1976.
- <M3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: NMR TL 7270/1/164; CUCAP RQ 47.
- <R3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, AP TL 7270/1/164.
- <R4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP RQ 47, 1956.
- <S4> SSF5249 (No record type): DOE, Scheduling information, 1981 & 1983.
- <S5> SSF15590 (No record type): PCAS, 1925, 26.
- <R5> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. 11,24,68-70,72-74, 88.
- <S6> SSF7174 (No record type): Grimes W F, PPSEA, 6, 1928-1931,353, number 92.
- <S7> SSF3571 (No record type): Clarke D L, Beaker Pottery of Great Britain and Ireland, 1970, 496.
- <S8> SSF6572 (No record type): Fox C, Archaeology of the Cambridge Region 1923, 25, 31-32, 322, 325.
- <S9> SSF15890 (No record type): Pendleton C, The Distribution of BA metalwork in NW Suffolk, BA dissertation, Nottingham, 1985, numb.
- FSF6643: POTTERY (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF6644: WORKED OBJECT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF6645: POTTERY BEAKER (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF6646: POTTERY FOOD VESSEL (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF6647: PIN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF6648: BEAD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF6649: POT BOILER (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF6650: ANIMAL REMAINS (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF6651: PIN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF6652: AWL (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Cawdor & Fox (Ref: Cawdor & Fox) (ESF16022)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Greenwell (Ref: Greenwell) (ESF14991)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M)) (ESF13916)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13741)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (JB) (Ref: OS (JB)) (ESF12237)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13424)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2012 5:13PM