Monument record BTM 004 - Beacon Hill, Chalk Hill Round Barrow (BA)

Please read our .

Summary

Group of round barrows - Scheduled Monument.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 7087 7215 (19m by 18m)
Map sheet TL77SW
Civil Parish BARTON MILLS, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Group of round barrows. Previously four barrows in a line ESE-NNW, two to the W and two to the E of the road, of which the northernmost of the E pair was excavated by Canon Greenwell in 1868 - he found a primary contracted inhumation with plain pottery sherds, flint flakes and scrapers surrounded by a 2 feet high bank of clunch, and a secondary cremation and two inhumations without grave goods. This barrow was 96 feet N-S by 78 feet E-W by 3 feet 9 inches high (S1)(S8).
In 1923 one barrow only survived, on the W of the road, known as Beacon Hill. This barrow, 54 feet diameter and about 8 feet high was excavated by Earl Cawdor and C Fox; it was constructed of sand, containing flint flakes, cores, pot boilers, pottery sherds, animal bones and charcoal with a layer of chalky boulder clay over it. Three contracted inhumations and eleven cremations were found in the clay layer, with three pots. Two bone pins and a bone necklace (spacer beads) were found with the cremations (S1)(S10). Following the 1923 excavation the mound was rebuilt 5 yards NW of its original position (S12). Description of this rebuilt mound, which is Scheduled, in (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4).
An East Anglian type beaker in Colchester Museum is from 'Barton Hill, Mildenhall' (S7). An S3 (E) type beaker in Cambridge Museum, (1897.181) provenanced as Curdle Head, Eriswell, is said (in a manuscript note in the museum,) to be from Barton Hill (S7), as is a flint dagger (S6). A bronze pin, awl or tracer, `much decayed', 4 inches long was found with two flint implements, 3 flakes and half a flint disc with cremation C5 by Cawdor & Fox in the 1923 excavations (S5)(S9)(S10).

Sources/Archives (18)

  • <M1> (No record type): SAM file:.
  • <S1> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, cards TL77SW17, 1979; TL77SW26, 1968.
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 18, 1923, 161.
  • <R1> (No record type): Greenwell Canon W, Barton Hill, Quarterly Journal, SIA 1869, 20-21.
  • <S2> (No record type): NWHCM record 1935.
  • <M2> (No record type): Barrow survey:.
  • <R2> (No record type): Abercromby J, Bronze Age Pottery in Great Britain and Ireland,1912, 2.
  • <S3> (No record type): SAU barrow survey record 1976.
  • <M3> Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: NMR TL 7270/1/164; CUCAP RQ 47.
  • <R3> Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, AP TL 7270/1/164.
  • <R4> Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP RQ 47, 1956.
  • <S4> (No record type): DOE, Scheduling information, 1981 & 1983.
  • <S5> (No record type): PCAS, 1925, 26.
  • <R5> Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. 11,24,68-70,72-74, 88.
  • <S6> (No record type): Grimes W F, PPSEA, 6, 1928-1931,353, number 92.
  • <S7> (No record type): Clarke D L, Beaker Pottery of Great Britain and Ireland, 1970, 496.
  • <S8> (No record type): Fox C, Archaeology of the Cambridge Region 1923, 25, 31-32, 322, 325.
  • <S9> (No record type): Pendleton C, The Distribution of BA metalwork in NW Suffolk, BA dissertation, Nottingham, 1985, numb.

Finds (10)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (6)

Record last edited

Mar 9 2012 5:13PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.