Monument record BRK 015 - Barking Hall (PMed)

Please read our .


Site of Barking Hall, Occupied by Francis Theobald (Knight) in 1680, seat of Earls of Ashburnham from circa 1756, see details.


Grid reference Centred TM 07622 53492 (50m by 50m)
Map sheet TM05SE


Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Site of Barking Hall. Occupied by Francis Theobald (Knight) in 1680. Seat of Earls of Ashburnham from circa 1756.
Divided into tenements and occupied by poor (circa 1836). Demolished (after fire?) 1926.
Described as 'Early C18 house of 7 bays with tower and later C18 wings. Long verandah on entrance front. Demolished 1926, but C18 stables remain (S3). Walled garden also survives. Described as 'a large red brick mansion', 'now unoccupied' and photographed in (S4).
Also Un & Rom.
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History. E Suffolk: A-H, 1990.
  • <R1> Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Pedigree of Theobald of Barking Hall, E Anglian Notes & Queries, new series 4, 158.
  • <S2> Map: OS. OS Map. 1:2500, 1880s.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, 3: East Anglia, 1981, 214-5.
  • <S4> Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated. 23, ill.
  • <S5> Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jun 9 2010 4:46PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.