Monument record BTM 006 - A11 Barton Mills Bypass
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7234 7355 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||BARTON MILLS, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch, single circle, circa 27m diameter (S1)(S2). Part of a linear group of three (also BTM 005, BTM 007).
April 1985: Short rescue excavation over 2 days prior to construction of A11 Barton Mills bypass. External diameter of about 32m, the ditch 4m wide and 1.1m deep. No burials were located, though time did not permit an exhaustive search of more than the central area. The only artefact recovered was a Roman coin from the silted-up surface of the ditch; however it is likely the ring ditch itself is BA in date (S3). Now destroyed.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP VU89 (1957), XU21 (1959).
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP VU89 XU21; SAU ABB 9.
- <S2> SSF18299 (No record type): SAU, AP ABB 9, 1975.
- <M2> SSF44709 (No record type): Excavation archive: plan & section.
- <S3> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Archaeol excavations, 1985, PSIA, 36, 1986, 151.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 8 2015 2:25PM