Monument record BUN 054 - The Old Cinema Site, Broad Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 33523 89904 (34m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||BUNGAY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
2004: Evaluation revealed several pits and a ditch. The ditch contained four sherds of 12th-14th century pottery and a single animal bone. Some of the pits contained 12th-18th century pottery, animal bone and a possible fragment of Roman pottery. Subsequent monitoring only revealed a single sherd of late medieval pottery in the spoil. The features are likely to be for rubbish disposal, although they may have initially been dug to extract small amounts of gravel during the medieval and early post-medieval periods. The presence of these pits suggests that the site was open ground in the medieval period and the artefactual evidence recovered from the pits indicates that it probably remained as an area of open ground up until the 18th-19th century (S1).
- <S1> SSF58299 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2004. Archaeological Evaluation and Monitoring Report, The Old Cinema Site, Broad Street, Bungay.
- FSF31717: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF31718: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF31719: BRICK (13th century to 15th century - 1201 AD to 1499 AD)
- FSF31720: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF46550: ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF46551: NAIL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF46552: OYSTER SHELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 30 2018 4:14PM