Monument record WRW 037 - The Kings Forest
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 847 750 (496m by 683m)|
|Civil Parish||WORDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
2001: 3 low banks and a shallow hollow way recorded during rapid earthwork identification survey (S1).
Extent of HER'd site extended south after examination of 1946 AP which shows the monument relatively clearly as a pale, possible machined, area and perhaps suggest a recent date. The northern part adjoins (to the west) a 19th century field boundary and tree line.All of the monument lies within arable fields at that time. Both ends have abrupt terminals on the AP - function unknown.
April-May 2009: recorded as 'still faintly visible extendiong towards mound' during pre-destumping survey by John Craven (S2).
Aug 2009: end in southern compartment examined (Colin Pendleton (SCCAS) and Rachel Riley (FC)) but only visible as broad and shallow linear 'hollow way' - banks not identified though medium grass/undergrowth cover.
Note: possible round barrow WRW 047 at S end (within area shown on AP!) of this feature.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2018 11:09AM