Monument record HAD 079 - Deer Park, Pond Hall Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 06053 42495 (852m by 910m)|
|Civil Parish||HADLEIGH, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Deer Park in the manor of Pond Hall (for manor house etc see HAD 078). Grant of free warren obtained in 1340 by Sir William Gifford and then Helming Legat (constable of Windsor Castle) in 1365, followed by a patent to empark, within estate of 639 acres, in 1369. Passed (by marriage) to D'Oyley family in 1390s. Details of house, manor, park and park-pale in (S1). Park is last mentioned in 1638, probably disparked by 1721.
For possible moated hunting lodge in centre of park see HAD 045.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Copy (S1).
- <S1> SSF50170 Unpublished document: Andrews S (UEA), Following the deer: in search of Pond Hall Park, Hadleigh, Suffolk, essay, 2005.
- <S2> SSF58578 Bibliographic reference: Rackham, O.. 1988. Medieval Deer Parks 1086-1602, An Historical Atlas of Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF50165 Bibliographic reference: Hoppitt, R.. 1999. 'Deer Parks 1086-c.1602', An Historical Atlas of Suffolk.
- <S4> SSF53541 Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2018 4:02PM