Monument record CRM 057 - Gooserye Farm; The Old Hall; Bridge Farm (1880s); Stanford Hall (1836)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 09100 55174 (108m by 78m)|
|Civil Parish||CREETING ST MARY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Stanford (or Srunford or Smarford?) Hall named (unclearly) and depicted as substantial building in centre of rectilinear moated enclosure (entrance to S) on OS 1st ed map of 1837.
Only S & SW arms of moat now mapped, and existing building appears further east than depicted on 1837 mapping.
Tithe map needs checking (for layout, name & ownership).
Listed Building (grade II) - English Heritage mapped location incorrect - moved on HER & mapinfo maps to correct site, December 2006.
'Moated enclosure- Site of Smarford(?) Hall, as seen on 1837 1st edition Ordnance Survey mapping. By 1885 o/s only the S & SW arms of moat are shown along with ditches extending to the south away from the site, possibly connecting to the river. The house is named Bridge Farm at this time. Now, the S & SW arms of moat still mapped, but existing building appears further east than depicted on 1837 mapping, however listed building reference suggests house may be original as it is a late C15 timber framed H-plan hall. By 1985 the house name has changed again to Houghten Park Farm and then to Gooserye Farm more recently. Site not visited' (Farmland Environment Plan report by William Fletcher, January 2007).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 20 2017 11:47AM