Monument record ASY 011 - Ashby Warren; Ashbye Warren (1783)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TG 4853 0011 (2404m by 1660m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Possible Rabbit Warren site, based on place-name evidence.
Ashby Warren. Large open area shown on J. Hodskinson's map of 1783 (S1).
Comparison with the Ordnance Survey 1st edition map of 1884 indicates that there has been a slight loss of field boundaries, however the field pattern of 1884 is still largely intact. The preponderance of straight boundaries suggests that there was some 18th/19th century restructuring of the landscape - there is an enclosure award of 1805 that relates to 192 acres in Somerleyton, 935 acres in Blundeston and 376 acres in Lound, but this was said to not include common field arable (though some is recorded in neighbouring parishes). Restructuring also took place in the southern part of the area after the 1848 road closures (S2).
Mapped on HER after Hodskinson though boundaries, especially to S & E, uncertain.
Note: 'Elephants Castle', at TM482997, on OS 1880s map, overlooks much of the Warren from the West and may be a former Warrener's lodge?
According to Copinger (S3) the right of Free Warren was granted toone of the manors of Herringfleet in ? - details need checking in Copinger.
Further documentary search needed.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2007 5:03PM