Monument record BSE 224 - Medieval and post-medieval features, Green and Green, 80 Guildhall Street

Please read our .

Summary

Medieval and post-medieval features identified during evaluation and monitoring, also a single pit containing Thetford ware.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 85233 64040 (26m by 25m)
Map sheet TL86SE
Civil Parish BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (7)

Full Description

2004: Evaluation identified medieval deposits, including a spread of pozzolanic mortar, recovered from the north end of the site in a medieval context, which may have come from the demolition of a cellar or crypt. The base of a wall was seen which may be one of the property boundaries which appear on the Warren map 1747. It was dug into a layer which produced exclusively medieval finds (S2).

2007: Subsequent monitoring identified a single pit containing sherds of Thetford ware, as well as numerous post-medieval features, including pits, ditches, walls, a yard surface and wells. Two of the walls were identified running at right angles to Guildhall St and were probably property boundaries (S1).

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Duffy, J.. 2007. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Greene and Greene, 80 Guildhall Street, Bury St Edmunds.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Tester, A.. 2004. Archaeological Evaluation Report, 80 Guildhall Street, Bury St Edmunds, BSE 224.

Finds (15)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

May 30 2018 5:16PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.