Monument record IKL 164 - Post Medieval boundary bank Compartment 5140, Kings Forest
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8110 7556 (541m by 338m)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
2002: rapid survey identified low linear SE-NW bank, circa 4m wide & 20cm high. NW half survives as pine belt (early C19th?), SE (surveyed) half presumably originally continuation of belt, probably marking field boundary (S1).
Formerly numbered (in error - duplicate) as IKL 137.
2015: Rapid earthwork survey recorded this bank. The western most section of this bank is still shown on OS maps, but the easternmost section is not. This lattter is a barely visible gentle south-facing scarp of c.0.3m high on the cut grass area noted above. This eastern section is not shown on the early 19th century maps and is probably a modern feature (S1).
June 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
A probable post medieval boundary bank is seen as an earthwork on visualised lidar data (S2). The bank is fragmented and aligned approximately north west – south east. The bank most likely relates to a boundary mapped on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map and is in close proximity to further boundary banks to the south west and west.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 18th June 2019.
- <S1> SSF50064 Unpublished document: Survey. Pendleton C (SCCAS), RIS, Aug 2002, map.
- <S1> SSF58497 Unpublished document: Cushion, B.. 2015. Archaeological Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey, Icknield Heath (Part)..
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL77NE/77SE/87NW/87SW, Mapping Block 3: Breckland Aerial Investigation & Mapping (NMP) Project (ESF27300)
- Event - Survey: Pendleton C (SCCAS), Rapid Identification Survey, August 2002 (ESF19319)
- Event - Survey: Rapid Earthwork Survey, Icknield Heath, Icklingham (Ref: OASIS-briancus1-204449) (ESF22969)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2020 4:56PM