Monument record FNM 001 - Burnt House Farm (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 37125 58368 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||FARNHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Material from the excavation by Ipswich Museum during the summer of 1971 of a bath house 15 feet x 9 feet with projecting bays to E and W. Extensively robbed in Med times, only the base of 8 hypocaust pillars remained, with a small fragment of wall and one side of the flue arch made of coralline crag. Finds include: Pottery, including two samian stamps, sherd with woman's face in burnished lines. Coins 1 Divo Claudio 268 - 270 (RIC 266), 1 Urbs Roma, wolf and twins, Treveri 330 - 335 (LRBCI, 58), 1 Urbs Roma as above, but mint mark illegible. Bone gaming piece one and one-eighth inch in diameter with central dot. Window glass. Fragments of wall plaster. Nails and iron wall ties.
A partly excavated black pit 16 feet to the NW yielded a sackful of pottery; a coin VICTORIAE DD AVGG QNN, 2 victories AD 341- 346 Constantius II or Constans; a strip of bronze broken and distorted metal, probably a ring, decorated with triangular jabs, three enclosed in circles, and a, possibly BA, segmented blue faience bead.
From surface near the site: part of a dolphin brooch, half bow and side wings only.
Given by owner of land, R Turner. Reported by M R Campen (S1). Adjoins & part of larger area of Rom finds, FNM 003.
Also a segmented faience bead (?BA) and stray Med finds.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1971-135, 1971.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeology in Suffolk 1971, PSIA, 32, 1971, (2), 208.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM35NE7, 1978.
- FSF13014: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF13015: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF13016: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF13017: GAMING PIECE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF13018: WINDOW GLASS (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF13019: WALL COVERING (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF13020: DOLPHIN BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF33215: WALL PAINTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 10 2009 5:15PM