Monument record BSE 321 - Crown Street; House of Abbot Reeve (site of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 8559 6378 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
'House of Abbot Reeve (site of)' marked with cross on OS 1880s & later maps (S1).
John Reeve was Abbot of Bury from 1513-1539 (S2).
The house of Abbot Reeve stood at the junction of Brown Street and Westgate Street. It was the house Abbot Reeve retired to after the Dissolution of the Monastry and Abbey of St Edmunds; he being the last Abbot. He subsequently died in the house and was buried in the chancel of St Marys Church. (S2)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2021 10:36AM