Monument record CUL 045 - Culford School Air Tennis Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8351 7037 (47m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
2007: Small archaeological evaluation of land at Culford School, Culford (site for a proposed tennis air hall). Site was formerly part of the walled formal gardens of Culford Hall/Park. Five evalution trenches were excavated producing seven features, one of which contained Iron Age pottery (S1).
2009: Small area excavation of possible multi-period site evaluted in February 2007 (suffolkc1-25638). Iron age and possibly earlier prehistoric features and finds material found during evaluation phase. Excavation identified at least 1 Early Bronze Age burial; features of Late Bronze Age and post-medieval date. There were at least 2, possibly 4, inhumations on the site, though there appears to have been significant redeposition of the burails in antiquity (S2).
- FSF33620: POTTERY (Early Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF33621: POTTERY (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF33622: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF33623: ARROWHEAD (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF33624: POTTERY FOOD VESSEL (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF33625: HAMMERSTONE (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF35191: HUMAN REMAINS (Late Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 1000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF35192: HUMAN REMAINS (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 13 2011 12:51PM