Monument record ERL 147 - Liberty Village East, RAF Lakenheath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7258 7982 (73m by 168m)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Evaluation and excavation identified, a substantial phase of Late Iron Age activity was seen 250m to the west of this monument at ERL 147 and primarily consisted of several pit groups and occasional ditches. The main group was a dense cluster of some seventy pits occupying an area c.15m across. The majority of these pits ranged from 1m to 2.2m in diameter and 0.5m to 1m deep and were evenly spaced with only a few intercutting each other. A few features scattered across the southern half of ERL 147 contained material from the Iron Age/Roman transition period, suggesting a continuity of activity on the site through to the 1st century AD and a phase of early Roman activity, which consisted of an east-west aligned, multi-cut ditch which ran approximately parallel to Lord's Walk and is thought to be part of the more extensive field system identified in excavations ERL 089, 120 and 129 to the north of Lord's Walk (S1, S2 S3).
- <S1> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Caruth J (SCCAS), 'Archaeol in Suffolk 2005', PSIAH, 41, 2006, 247-8.
- <S2> SSF54897 Unpublished document: Craven J. 2012. Archaeological Assessment Report, Liberty Village, RAF Lakenheath, Eriswell, ERL 143, ERL 147, ERL 148 & ERL 203.
- <S3> SSF52161 Unpublished document: Craven, J,. 2005. Evaluation Summary Report, Phase 1, Liberty Village, RAF Lakenheath, Eriswell.
- FSF33633: POTTERY (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF33634: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF36319: COIN (Late Iron Age - 30 BC to 20 BC)
- FSF36321: PIN (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF36322: SPINDLE WHORL (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF36323: LOOMWEIGHT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF36324: RING (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF36325: BOBBIN (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF36326: COMB (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF36555: POTTERY (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF36556: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF36557: COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF36558: HUMAN REMAINS (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF36559: ANIMAL REMAINS (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2013 1:18PM