Monument record CHT 015 - Churchfields Road
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8873 4227 (230m by 226m)|
|Civil Parish||CHILTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (11)
- GRAIN SILO (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- DITCH (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- PIT (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2350 BC to 42 AD)
- LAYER (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- CREMATION (Undated)
- DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POST HOLE (Unknown date)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC) (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- HUT CIRCLE (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- ENCLOSURE (Middle Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1600 BC? to 401 BC? (at some time))
Excavation of southern part of major (Late Bronze Age?) enclosure CHT 009 revealed series of features including round house and a series of four-posters inside and outside main enclosure ditch (with gap where former bank would have been. The pottery from the top fill of the enclosure ditch dated from the end of the Early Iron Age (Matt Brudenell, Nov 2008). Summary in (S1). Details and final report outstanding .
Full extent of enclosed and post enclosure phases of site unknown.
- <S1> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. 'Archaeology in Suffolk 2002, PSIAH, 40 (3), 2003, 354.
- FSF33649: POTTERY (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF33650: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF33651: CRUCIBLE (Unknown date)
- FSF33652: METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Unknown date)
- FSF33653: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 6 2016 11:34AM