Monument record SBC 035 - Ring ditch, part of larger group (see SBC 001 - 016).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 7323 4302 (point)|
|Civil Parish||STOKE-BY-CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Ring ditch, extremely broad (possible pond barrow), circa 30m in diameter, part of larger group (see SBC 001 - 016). Within Scheduled area but not recorded under Scheduling details. Note within complex of extraction pits in groups of irregular and regular form and in area of other isolated small (domestic?) pits - see (S4) particularly. Some may be sunken featured buildings?
1990s (?) : site deep ploughed by owner Mr. Watson according to English Heritage (Mr. I Millar) (55).
Now (2008) under farm management plan and reverted to grass (Pers comm Will Fletcher).
- <S1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. SAU, AP, ADC 18, 30 June 1976.
- <S2> SSF50024 Photograph: McMasters. Air Photograph. MacMasters I, AP, III, 11 July 1986.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. AP, 107/11-15 (1989).
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. AP, CP/96/9/4 & 96/38/11, 13 & 26 June, 1996.
- <S5> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. MacMasters I, to C Pendleton (SCCAS), July 2008.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2016 11:32AM