Monument record KIR 055 - Kirton Lodge Farm Reservoir
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2906 4118 (260m by 245m)|
|Civil Parish||KIRTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
A trenched evaluation was conducted within the area of a proposed farm reservoir on an east to west running ridge of slightly higher ground overlooking Kirton creek to the north. This revealed a high concentration of features within the north-west corner of the site. Some of these are likely to be of prehistoric date, with some features containing pottery of the Early Bronze Age (2,300 - 1,500 BC). Although a hearth and possible structural remains suggest settlement the presence of urn fragments within the pottery assemblage might point to a funerary use of the site. Further excavation has been proposed for this area. Outside the main concentration, some isolated archaeological remains were identified. A pit of Bronze Age date was recognised towards the south-east corner of the site and three sections of ditch, one prehistoric, one medieval and one undated, ran along the site's eastern edge (S1).
- <S1> SSF50056 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service evaluation report. Meredeth J, SCCAS 2006/122.
- FSF33879: POTTERY (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF33880: POTTERY (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF33881: BURNT FLINT (Unknown date)
- FSF33882: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF33883: BEAKER (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF33884: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF33885: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 3 2009 1:43PM