Monument record STN 090 - Linear bank earthwork marking parish boundary between Santon Downham and Thetford (now Norfolk).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8259 8400 (1543m by 2334m)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
- PARISH BOUNDARY (Early Saxon to IPS: Modern - 410 AD? to 2050 AD (at some time))
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Early Saxon to IPS: Modern - 410 AD? to 2050 AD)
- RABBIT WARREN (Medieval to IPS: Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Post Roman - 410 AD to 1900 AD)
- PARISH BOUNDARY (Post Roman - 410 AD to 1900 AD)
Linear bank earthwork marking parish boundary between Santon Downham and Thetford (now Norfolk). Circa 3m wide and 50cm high. Noted at TL 81948306 but presumably extends along whole length of boundary - see OS mapping of line (rather than parish boundary depiction).
January 2019. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The undated, presumably post Roman, boundary bank described above is partially visible as an earthwork on imagery from a lidar survey flown in 2015 (S2). It forms part of a dense spread of boundaries, enclosures, trackways and cultivation or plantation ridges recorded across Thetford Warren, which are recorded as SHER STN 190 in Suffolk and NHER 61542 in Norfolk. The mapping for the boundary has been recorded as part of this larger site.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 22nd January 2019.
- --- SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Thetford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S1> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Pendleton C (SCCAS), notated map only, Sept 2008.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 14 2019 4:14PM