Monument record ELV 074 - Probable medieval to post medieval boundary bank relating to Thetford Warren
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8218 8175 (160m by 98m)|
|Civil Parish||ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
1998: Rapid earthwork survey identified a bank parallel to bank ELV 072 and adjacent to ELV 073, similar dimensions, no ditch. Not marked on 1928 OS map, open heathland. Possibly one of the warren banks (S1).
Earthwork banks are possibly associated with Thetford Warren as mapped by 2010 The Breckland Society survey of The Warrens of Breckland. Perimeter banks of Thetford Warren only survive in part and mostly where they are also the parish and county boundary (S2).
January 2019. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The boundary bank described above, which is probably associated with Thetford Warren and of medieval to post medieval date, is visible as an earthwork on imagery from a 2015 lidar survey (S3). It is one of a very large number of boundaries identified within and around Thetford Warren; these have been recorded collectively as Norfolk Historic Environment Record 61542, or as SHER STN 190 where they extend into Suffolk. As the lidar survey was flown relatively recently, it is probable that the earthwork still survives.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 16th January 2019.
- <S1> SSF50361 Unpublished document: Pendleton, C. and Sommers, M.. 1998. Rapid Earthwork Identification Survey for Forest Enterprise. p21, map 9.
- <S2> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society.
- <S3> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Thetford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL78NE/78SE/77NE/88NW/88SW/88SE/87NW/87NE, Mapping Block 2: 'Brecks from Above' Air Photo Mapping Project and Breckland NMP Project (ESF25814)
- Event - Survey: Rapid Earthwork Identification Survey, Forest Enterprise, 1998 (ESF19514)
- Event - Survey: Survey by The Breckland Society - The Warrens of Breckland (ESF26143)
Record last edited
Oct 16 2019 4:04PM