Monument record IPS 479 - 11-15 Great Colman Street, Ipswich, (IAS 1005).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1656 4470 (6m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- TOWN DEFENCES (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LAYER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SOAKAWAY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FLOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PIT (Late Saxon - 850 AD to 1065 AD)
- BUILDING (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- GULLY (Late Saxon - 850 AD to 1065 AD)
- DEPOSIT SEQUENCE (Undated)
A trial trench evaluation was carried out at the above site in advance of a residential development. A single trench was excavated. Evidence of nearby Middle and Late Saxon activity was found in the form of residually derived Ipswich ware and Thetford-type ware pottery. Sparse Early medieval deposits were recorded but their exposure was too limited for detailed interpretation. A substantial dump deposit of redeposited sands and gravels was interpreted as being associated with the AD 1204 town ditch, but it remains unclear whether it was derived from the initial construction of the ditch and rampart or during later maintenance or levelling. Documentary evidence dating from at least the mid 14th century indicates that grants of land were given abutting the defences that stipulated maintenance of the ditch. Two substantial 'garden soil' deposits of Late medieval and 17th century date concur with the documentary evidence which suggests that the site was then under formal gardens (of a property known for some time as Harbottle House) until well into the 19th century. Great Colman Street itself was laid out in 1821 and later features attest to 19th and 20th century occupation along its frontage. It is suggested that the site could have seen relatively little occupation other than being used as urban gardens or agricultural land from possibly as early as the Middle Saxon period until late in the 19th century (S1).
See also (S2, S3).
- <S1> SSF50421 Unpublished document: Gardner, R.. 2005. Archaeological Evaluation Report, 11-15 Great Colman Street, Ipswich, IPS 479 (IAS 1005).
- <S2> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 1005.
- <S3> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 1005.
- FSF34290: POTTERY (12th century to 14th century - 1100 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF34291: POTTERY (IPS: Early Late Saxon - 850 AD to 900 AD)
- FSF39484: POTTERY (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF39485: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF39486: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 650 AD to 850 AD)
- FSF39487: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF39488: ANIMAL REMAINS (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FSF39489: ANIMAL REMAINS (14th century to 15th century - 1300 AD to 1499 AD)
- FSF39490: ANIMAL REMAINS (13th century to 14th century - 1200 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF39491: ANIMAL REMAINS (12th century to 14th century - 1100 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF39492: ANIMAL REMAINS (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 12th century - 1000 AD to 1199 AD)
- FSF39493: OYSTER SHELL (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FSF39494: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF39495: ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF39496: ROOF TILE (13th century to 15th century - 1200 AD to 1499 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2017 1:16PM