Monument record IPS 496 - Highfield Nursery, Ipswich.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1477 4656 (35m by 37m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1996: Monitoring of new porch, one pit seen, undated, (S1).
2002: Monitoring of Extension, 19th Century extraction pit seen, (S2).
2003: Geophysical survey as part of Time Team television programme. See IPS 421.
2004: See IPS 463.
2006: Archaeological monitoring of the reduced level strip over the footprint of an extension to the existing buildings identified a single Roman feature, a small pit. The only other feature recorded was the northern side of a modern (early 20th century) extraction pit previously seen in the footings for an earlier extension. There was no evidence for the significant Roman building previously investigated by Basil Brown in c.1946 that was said to have been located on the northern edge of an extraction pit (S3).
Continuous monitoring of footings for nursery extension yielded no Roman artefacts or deposits. This is depite of the site being located within the Castle Hill villa complex suggesting truncation of the natural surface. Extension partially over backfilled late 19th/early 20th century extraction pit, the location of which may be of use in locating early excavation plans(?)(S3).
2009: Monitoring: No finds or features found.
- <S1> SSF57212 Unpublished document: Abbot C.. 1996. Highfield Nursery School. Chesterfield Drive, Ipswich..
- <S3> SSF50475 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 2006. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Highfield Nursery, Ipswich, IPS 496.
- <S3> SSF57213 Unpublished document: Sommers M. 2002. ARCHAEOLOGICAL MONITORING REPORT, HIGHFIELD NURSERY, CHESTERFIELD DRIVE, IPSWICH.
- <S4> SSF57214 Unpublished document: Stirk, D. 2009. ARCHAEOLOGICAL MONITORING REPORT, Highfield Nursery, Chesterfield Drive, Ipswich, IPS 496.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical Survey, Castle Hill, Ipswich. (Ref: OASIS-gsbprosp1-23439) (ESF20636)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring, Highfield Nursery, Ipswich (ESF24951)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring, Highfield Nursery, Ipswich (ESF24952)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring, Highfield Nursery, Ipswich. (ESF24953)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring, Highfield Nursery, Ipswich. (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-13860) (ESF20172)
Record last edited
Oct 28 2016 10:51AM